Cincinnati and Eastern Railway certificate of subscription of capital stock certificate number 1.
The Cincinnati and Eastern Railway was a 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge railroad that completed its line from a junction with the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railway north of Cincinnati east to Portsmouth, Ohio in 1884. It began as the Cincinnati, Batavia and Williamsburg Railroad in January 1876, and was renamed in May of the same year. The line was sold at foreclosure in January 1887 to the Ohio and North Western Railroad (which had been chartered in 1886) and the line was converted to 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge. In March 1890 it was again foreclosed, passing to the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad in June 1891. That company merged into the Norfolk and Western Railway in October 1901. The line is now owned by the Norfolk Southern Railway, with the portion between Clare Yard and Seaman, Ohio currently leased to the Cincinnati Eastern Railroad (CCET; formerly the Cincinnati East Terminal Railway) since April 2014. The rest of the line into Portsmouth, Ohio has been "rail banked" by NS. SOLD